BEST FIRST TREATMENT FOR HIP AND KNEE ARTHRITIS
GLA:D®, or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms. The GLA:D® program is available at our pilates and rehab studio in Clifton Hill.
WHAT DOES GLAD® INVOLVE?
This education and exercise program reflects the latest evidence in osteoarthritis (OA) research. It also includes feedback from people with OA and trainers on what works in the real world to help patients manage OA symptoms.
GLA:D® Australia training consists of:
- A first appointment explaining the program and collecting data on your current functional ability
- Two education sessions which teach you about OA, how the GLA:DTM Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability outside of the program
- Group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint which leads to reduction in symptoms.
GLA:D® Australia is run in private, public, and hospital physiotherapy clinics. The cost of the program can vary depending on location and size of the group. Please discuss this with the provider listed below. You do not need a referral from you Doctor, however you may be eligible for a rebate from Medicare for some of the cost of the program, if deemed appropriate by your GP.
CAN I PARTICIPATE IN GLAD® AUSTRALIA?
GLA:D® Australia is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity. You may participate in the GLA:D® Australia program if you have a hip or knee joint problem that resulted in visiting a health care provider.
You may not be able to participate in the GLA:D® Australia program if:
- You have other reasons for your hip and/or knee pain, including; tumor, inflammatory joint disease, result of hip fracture, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- You have other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (for example chronic generalized pain or fibromyalgia)
- You are unable to understand and communicate in English
OA is the most common lifestyle disease in individuals 65 year of age and older, but can also affect individuals as young as 30.
Current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight loss as first line treatment for osteoarthritis.
In Australia, treatment usually focuses on surgery and the GLA:DTM Australia program offers a better and safer alternative.
BACKGROUND OF THE GLAD® PROGRAM
Research from the GLA:D® program in Denmark found symptom progression reduces by 32%. Other outcomes include a less pain, reduced use of joint related pain killers, and less people on sick leave. GLA:D® participants also reported high levels of satisfaction with the program and increased levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program.
This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT GLAD®
The GLAD program will commence at Clifton Hill Pilates and Rehab in April 2017. Please contact Sallie for further information or to register your interest.